Importance, and Uses/Applications of Engineering Graphics and Design
Importance of Engineering Graphics and Design
Just to mention a few, the importance of engineering graphics and design include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Engineering graphics and design is important because it provides engineering and technology students with knowledge of techniques and standard practices generally employed worldwide in engineering graphics and design. This makes it easier or possible for design ideas to be adequately communicated, produced and used in many countries.
- Engineering graphics and design is important because it sharpens the imagination, and helps engineering professionals solve more advanced technological problems related to engineering graphics and design.
Uses/Applications of Engineering Graphics and Design
Although engineering graphics and design has many uses or applications, discussions will be limited to the following:
- Engineering graphics and design can be used to produce “layout drawings” of completely designed end products; it can also be used in geometric studies to develop the movement of mechanical linkages, clearances, or arrangements.
- Engineering graphics and design can be used to produce “mono-detail drawing” which is very important because it gives details and maximum clarity about any part of an engineering structure without having to view a whole structure.
- Engineering graphics and design can be used to produce “assembly drawings” for 2-D projections that have to be joined together in order to form an “assembly” which gives clear and precise overview of structures.
- Engineering graphics and design can be used to produce “installation drawings” in order to provide technical information regarding the proper way to position and install items. Installation drawings could also include dimensional data, hardware descriptions, and information regarding general configuration on installation sites where control systems, electrical systems, hydraulic systems, and other types of systems exist.
- Engineering graphics and design can be used to produce “modification drawings” in order to alter characteristics of items that have been purchased in bulk; examples include hinges, extrusions, channel nuts, semi-processed items as electronic equipment drawers, castings, blank panels, castings, etc. Drafts for altered items are usually prepared whenever it becomes necessary to alter existing items.
- Engineering graphics and design can be used to produce “procurement control drawings” which provide criteria on performance, and identification of supplier items that list the engineering design characteristics required to ensure control of interfaces, and repeatability of performance according to design. In the commercial realm of engineering practice, procurement control drawings can be prepared for item identification, purchased items, alteration to purchased items, selection from purchased items, and development/qualification of new items.
- Engineering graphics and design can be used to produce “mechanical systematic diagrams” whenever general operating principles cannot be promptly determined after studying assembly drawings. Generally, mechanical schematic diagrams clearly illustrate design information for hydraulic or pneumatic systems, and complex mechanical systems such as the complex arrangement of gears, cams, linkages, clutches, linkages, etc.
- Engineering graphics and design can be used to produce “electrical & electronic diagrams” (in accordance with ANSI Y14.15 or ANSI/IEEE STD 991) in order to clearly describe the elements and functions of electrical or electronic tools/equipment in accordance with ANSI/IEEE STD 91 and 315.
Engineering graphics and design can be used produce “functional block diagrams” in order to clearly illustrate the relationship between the functions of major elements in a system, or an assembly of various systems.
The eBook on “Technical Drawing with Engineering Graphics & Design in Practice: Definitions, Importance, and Applications”, which can be downloaded at the top of this page, discusses the following topics:
- Definition of Engineering Graphics.
- Definition of Graphical Engineering.
- What Engineering Graphics and Design is all About
- What is Engineering Design?
- Application of Technical Drawing with Engineering Graphics in Engineering Design.
- Basic Components of Engineering Graphics—the Code of Practice.
- Importance of Engineering Graphics and Design.
- Uses/Applications of Engineering Graphics and Design.
For regular updates on technical and engineering drawing topics, subscribe: enter your email address & subscribe for new articles at top or bottom of the right sidebar of any web page on https://motivation-environment.com/.